DIY

Winter Decor Ideas + DIY Thrift Store Finds!

 


Hi there. Hello. It's me. How you doing? This might be a little late and maybe slightly irrelevant now but I'm gonna write this post anyway cause I'm bored and need to get stuff done. So you're welcome. ANYWAY. I'm not really one to decorate for Christmas since I don't really celebrate it but I'm pretty sure it's simple enough to decorate for the holidays. I mean, it's literally everywhere. I haven't really seen that many ideas or pictures, however, of just simple winter decor. I wanted to decorate my apartment for the season but still be able to enjoy it for a few months instead of decorating only to have to take it all down in a couple weeks. 

So. I decided to get creative and decorate for the season, Winter. Duh. I'm also pretty frugal and love me a good thrift store find so all the items and decor in this post are going to be mostly from the thrift stores or from the Dollar store. I love the Dollar Store. Someone, please sponsor me. Dollar Tree, I love you. Some things are pretty simple and straight forward and others require more of a unique touch but this is purely for inspiration. Maybe it'll inspire you to make your own DIY winter decor or repurpose something you already have in your home. Either way, enjoy!



I feel like starting with the DIY portions of this so we'll start with that. The first DIY I have is the cute little "log cabin" that I found at the thrift store. I paid a whopping $2 for it and it's actually a coin bank. There's no plug at the bottom of the bank but I bought it anyway because it was cute. That explains like half my life. Anyway, I'm going for a very neutral winter decor palette with lots of white, little pops of light blues, and maybe some gold and silver here and there. So I painted the cabin white, just one coat so the texture from the brush and the wood still peeked through and placed it on my dining table. I LOVE IT SO MUCH. 




I was a little sad when I thought it would've been cute had the cabin had a little "window" or some sort of cutout cause I could've put a little tealight. It would've looked so cozy and cute but hopefully, I can find something like that at Target. Now that I have the idea in my head, I need it to happen.

But I think it looks super cute on my table surrounded by all the plants and a couple candles and it makes me happy. Of course, you could paint it a different color or leave it plain if you happen to find your own little cabin or glue some things to it to make it look however you want. 

The next DIY kind of stems from the cabin a little bit. I found this really cool candle holder thing at the thrift store for $1. It's metal and has a long handle and kind of reminded me of a lantern. I loved how it looked like a bunch of little logs or twigs all glued together and I thought about leaving it like this and putting a candle in it and just calling it a day. But I thought it was missing something. So I took the paintbrush I used to paint my cabin and just strictly using the leftover paint that was already on the brush, I swiped the brush all over the twigs so make it look like snow on the twigs and waited for it to dry. 

A few days prior, my mom and I went to the park and gathered a few pinecones to use as decor. I cleaned the pinecones and put a handful in the candle holder and placed it outside to keep my plants company. I think it looks really cute and brings a little bit of winter onto the patio. Of course, I'm not done here with the patio but I'm loving seeing the little things kind of all start coming together.


Now onto some of my Dollar store DIYs. I love the dollar store, it's like a little wonderland every time I step inside and everything is just waiting there for me. One thing that I love doing that's super simple and nice is making a centerpiece for my dining table and patio table. I bought a couple of little glass vases and I've been loving them. They're a perfect size, not too tall and not too wide. 


What I usually do is buy a bunch of the flowers the dollar store offers, usually my favorites are the ones they bring out for the holidays because of all the glitter and shine. I try to get a mix of flowers, some "berries" and little decorative sticks here and there to give the bouquet a variety of different textures and heights. You can mix colors, of course, but I like to stay with only one or two colors. I chose rose gold for my inside vase and more of a gold for the outside to make it a little brighter. Sometimes I like to fill the vase with mini decor they usually sell at the dollar store. For Halloween, I filled one vase with a bunch of glitter skulls so for winter, you could use a bunch of fake snow, cotton balls, mini snowflakes, or even those mini ornaments meant for mini trees. 


So that's it for some simple and easy winter decor to have around the house! I hope some of these inspired you to create your own winter decor and get creative with the things you find or things you have around your house. Until next time!



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Top Categories